Ara Josefsson, 26, grew up in Darien, C.T. and moved to NYC in 2018 for a new career.
- Previous sports or athletic experience: I played a high level of competitive ice hockey up until college, when I realized I did not quite have the height to make it to the NHL. Now I do competitive powerlifting.
- What do you do for work?: I am a marketing manager for Private Division, a new publishing label under the Take-Two Interactive video game umbrella.
- How did you come to be part of #TheProgram?: I interned at Take-Two back in 2012, where Strauss takes out the interns for lunch. At that lunch I asked him about his Men’s Fitness cover as I was a personal trainer in college, and he invited me to join him for a workout. Over the years I joined him for workouts whenever I was in the NYC area, and he eventually started The Program, which I naturally became a part of through working out with Strauss.
- How has #TheProgram changed your fitness goals/ life in NYC? What does #TheProgram mean to you?: I find that there are not many professionals that are as consistent and dedicated to their workouts as The Program participants. When I need a workout that pushes me to go farther than I normally would on my own, I can always turn to them. It’s also great to meet professionals just as driven in their careers as they are in their workouts.
- What is your one top fitness lifestyle tip?: Truly learn and understand the fundamentals, and then you will never be fooled by the fitness industry hype and marketing that is so prevalent. Examine.com, team 3DMJ, Stronger by Science, and Dr. Jacob Harden are all sources of knowledge that will make you smarter than 99% of others when it comes to fitness and health (including nutrition).
- Anything else we should know about you?: Not only do I work at a video game company, but I am also a lifelong gamer. I also enjoy photography, hiking, and discussing 90’s hip hop.